Describe the buccal cavity of human beings. How is food masticated in buccal cavity ?
- The cavity or space in the mouth is called oral cavity or buccal cavity.
- Teeth, tongue and openings of three salivary glands are present in buccal cavity.
- Incisors, canines, premolars and molars are the different types of teeth present in the mouth.
- Tongue is muscular and pushes the food on to the teeth during mastication. It also helps in swallowing the food into oesophagus.
- Three pairs of salivary glands present in the buccal Cavity are parotid, sub-lingual and sub-maxillary glands.
- Parotid glands are present near the ears. Other two pairs of glands.open below the tongue